Liquid ferlizer project on horsch co drill

Go down

Liquid ferlizer project on horsch co drill

Post by NigelGillis on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Not sure if this will be of interest but here goes: Over the last few months Andrew Bergin, Tom Tierney and I have been working on converting our drills to liquid fertilizer. We have all used the same basic system with some differences. I will leave Andrew and Tom to show what they have done, but here is my (as yet untested!) version
I have used an old hardi sprayer tank 400l which I was given, welded to an A frame attachment on front links. A 12v 15l/min triple dia pump with suction filter linked to a sprayer pressure control valve (returns to tank plus agitation for mixing molasses/humates etc). The pump is piped under the tractor to 2 manifolds on the drill, giving 12 outlets to the coulters. The manifolds were simply made from a piece of plastic boom section with sprayer nozzleholders and hosetails instead of jets. Inside each holder is a liquid fertilizer reducer disc which controls the flow rate. We have worked our rate at .4/ min which gives us 100l/ha @10km/hour. For this spring I plan to keep it simple and not worry if I use less. I will just work out how many litres were used in the field and balance the rest of years fert accordingly.
Total cost of my system is approx €800 +vat, not including time (lots of!) and sprayer tank.
Nb. I have 2 sets of coulters: Solos which I use for beans and gen low disturbance duettes for cereals and can swap the lf pipes easily.
(Trying to post photos but dont know if working)

NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Re: Liquid ferlizer project on horsch co drill

Post by Karl Colton on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:54 am

It looks really good Nigel. I hope to do something for liquid on mine soon.
Is the control box in the cab to vary the rate in some way?

Sent from Topic'it App

Karl Colton

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelGillis on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am

Yes ...in theory!! I can turn up and down pump speed but in practice it doesnt really work with the pump size I have. It varys speed but pressure and thus output is actually governed by the pressure valve and restrictor size in nozzleholders......
More experimenting to do!

Sent from Topic'it App
NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Colton on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 am

Ok so even though you can vary pump output the pressure relief valve will negate any variance.
Can you manually vary the relief valve pressure to alter the rate?

Sent from Topic'it App

Karl Colton

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelGillis on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

Yep. No problem there but my pump goes up to 3.7 bar. Difference in output between 1bar and 3.7 is not huge. But simple to replace restrictors with larger or smaller and they are very cheap (6 euro for 15!).
Not going to overthink this...normally sow about 10k/hr. If much slower will swap discs (10 mins) and if faster can either put bigger discs in or just leave at lower rate. At end of field see how many litres used and will know actual rate!
Will let you know when i actually use it in reality!!

Sent from Topic'it App
NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Post by Karl Colton on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks Nigel. Best of luck with it.

Sent from Topic'it App

Karl Colton

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Tierney on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 am

To continue the story...........
I moved this year from a tine DD to a disc DD .... as it turns out I didn’t pick a good weather year to jump. But two things that struck me was :
1. I need to be out drilling 7/10 days earlier.
2. There’s less soil disturbance ( great) but less soil mineralization too ( which slows germination, in my opinion)...
So, decided applying liquid N & P ( like our Canadian cousins ) would be a good idea.
In January, I acquired an old 800l Hardi sprayer tank ( scrapped everything except tank).
Like Nigel, I’ve decided to go the electric pump route, I don’t have front pto, & it seemed the simplest route.
I also fitted a new pressure control valve along with the new pipe work etc. and piped up to the drill.
Unlike Nigel or Andrew, I’ve opted to fit a 3m spray boom behind the sprayer ( with 6 nozzles) to the nozzles I fitted dribble bars, each have 4 outlets (24 in total ) . Which matches the number of disc units !
So I figure slight altering of the boom should deliver on top off the slot.
I also fitted a cab controller, before I got this, I flow tested but it seemed to be tough to get the rate low enough. With the cab controller I can range between 0.2l & 2l per min. The magic number is 0.8l x 6 nozzles per min = 288 l per hour @ 10 Kph = 100l per ha.
That’s delivered @ 1 bar on the pressure controller @ 60% cab controller & B aperture on the dribble bar .
All tests done with water expecting a slight distortion with fert........
Now for the pictures !

Sent from Topic'it App
Tom Tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Tierney on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 am

Sent from Topic'it App
Tom Tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelGillis on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am

Looks great Tom - and in theory you could put out spray.....best of luck with it! Now all we need is some dry weather
NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Tierney on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 am

Cheers Nigel, thought that might have been today/tomorrow but not looking great

Sent from Topic'it App
Tom Tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelGillis on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 am

Still hoping!!

Sent from Topic'it App
NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelGillis on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:11 am

Ok, summary after use! I applied liq fert @97l/ha (aim was 100!). I also did a few trials on mixing molasses with the fert and I tried small areas with molasses only (bad year for those trials so results inconclusive). System works well, as easy and a LOT cheaper than gran fert! Even if I wanted one I could not justify cost of g+f drill. What would I do different. Practicallly nothing except mount the pump differently! Works great and done for approx 850 exc tank.......and lots of time to get right!
NigelGillis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum